Four award certificates will be available:
All awards will be electronic for self printing. An “Administered Unit” is one of the 219 eligible Parks Canada National Parks and National Historic Sites listed on the Parks Lookup page.
1. Activator Award
Awarded to any Amateur who makes a minimum of one accredited operation from a Parks Canada Administrated Unit. The total number of qualified activations will be printed directly on the certificate.
2. Chaser Award
Awarded to any Amateur who confirms QSOs with a minimum of 5 accredited operations from a Parks Canada Administrated Unit. The total number of Parks Canada units worked will be printed directly on the certificate.
3. National Parks and National Historic Sites Honour Roll
Awarded to any Amateur who confirms QSOs with 50% of the National Parks and National Historic Sites that have been successfully activated in 2019. Note this does not mean 50% of all 219 Parks Canada administered units (48 National Parks and 171 National Historic Sites). Only those units with accredited activations in 2019 will count when calculating the 50%. It is the responsibility of the Chaser to stay informed of operations that could affect their National Park’s Honour Roll status throughout the year.
4.“Five Star Activator”:
Special recognition on Activator certificates for Activators who engage in exceptional outreach during activations throughout the event. Activators must perform a minimum of five items on the Five Star Activator list and provide documentation (photos, video, electronic media, etc) of those activities to RAC upon request. Five Star Activator actions include:
- Media Publicity: Send a press release of your activation to the local media. It is not necessary to send RAC a copy, however, RAC reserves the right to ask for proof of claimed activities.
- Public Information Table: Promote Amateur Radio during your activation by making appropriate handouts and information available to the visiting public at the site (note: distributing literature in a Parks Canada unit may require a special use permit).
- Youth/Scouting Involvement: Activate a Parks Canada unit with a youth group or Scouting program.
- Radio E-Message: Transmit at least one electronic message via Amateur Radio to a third party. Any digital messaging format may be used to earn this bonus. The message must leave the Parks Canada unit via RF on an Amateur Radio frequency.
- Digital Modes: Demonstrate Amateur Radio using any of the digital modes available to radio amateurs to an audience of at least one person not familiar with the digital modes.
- Satellite Contact: Make a minimum of one QSO through an Amateur Radio satellite or the ISS. QSOs must be between two Earth stations.
- Green Power: Make a successful Activation using solar, wind, water or non-fossil fuel power. Includes batteries charged using “green” power.
- Battery Power: Make a successful Activation using battery power. Batteries may be charged using commercial mains.
- Social Media: Promote your activation, post video or photographs of your activation on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other social media platform (not your website)
- Intrepid Traveler: Activate at least five different Parks Canada units.
- Share The Mike: Have a non-ham or new ham make a contact.
- Moonbounce: Make at least one QSO via EME. Please use discretion when selecting your operating location.
- Work VxxRAC stations – a minimum of 10, or do 2 valid activations using a RAC call.